Skip to main content

The Complete Guide to Garden Hose Fittings

Eugene has a keen interest in DIY and gardening. Over a 30 year period he has also become self taught in garden power tool maintenance.

How to Connect Up a Hose

This guide shows you what fittings you need to connect up your garden hose to an indoor or garden tap and also how to attach it to spray nozzles, sprinklers, pressure washers and coiled hoses.

The complete guide to garden hose fittings.

Taps & Faucets

As you're probably aware what's called a faucet in the US and Canada is known as a tap in the UK and the rest of the world. There are also some other regional variants in naming these fittings:

UK and Ireland

  • Tap is used in the UK to refer to the fitting that supplies water to sinks, baths and wash basins. A tap outdoors is known as a "garden tap" or "outside tap."


  • Faucet. This is the same thing as a "tap" in the UK.
  • Spigot, Silcock, Bib, Bibcock and Hose Bib correspond to a "garden tap" in the UK.
  • Tap. This usually refers to a beer tap.

What Is the Thread Size of Garden Hose Fittings?

The United States, its territories and Canada:

  • The standard thread used for garden hoses is commonly known as garden hose thread (GHT), but officially its title is NH ("National Hose") defined in ANSI B1.20.7. There are two designations. NHR is for thin-walled couplers on hoses formed from rolled, thin material and NH is for full-form threads cut into thicker material, typically used for bib cocks and female hose ends. Male threads for garden hoses are also abbreviated as MHT for "male hose thread" and female threads as FHT for "female hose thread".
  • Threads are non-tapered, i.e parallel. Unlike tapered threads which wedge together when tightened, parallel threads don't seal without PTFE tape so usually rubber washers or o-rings are used in fittings to stop them leaking.
  • Fittings have an external thread diameter of 1 1/16", with a thread pitch of 11.5 threads per inch (TPI). A 3/4 inch GHT fitting is suitable for hoses with an internal diameter of 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4".
  • GHT is not compatible with National Pipe Tapered (NPT) as used for plumbing fittings. NPT threads however are used on the section of a bibcock that connects to the plumbing that feeds it.
  • Some hoses may be fitted with an NPSH (National Pipe Straight Hose) female, parallel threaded connector for connecting to a tapered threaded fitting on a water supply pipe (i.e. not a spigot). The 3/4" connector has 14 threads per inch and is not compatible with spigots. An adapter however can be used.

The UK and the rest of the world:

  • The British Standard Pipe Thread standard (BSP) is used. There are two versions of BSP:
    1. BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel)
    2. BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tapered)
  • BSPP is used for garden hoses (but usually just referred to as "BSP".) Most garden taps have a 3/4 inch BSP thread and thread pitch is 14 threads per inch. BSPP is also referred to as "G".
  • Older taps may have a 1/2" BSP thread.
  • Taps used on farms, factories and in horticulture, and fittings for garden irrigation pumps often have a 1 inch or 7/8" BSP outlet.
  • Domestic plumbing fittings vary in diameter, but also have BSP threads.

Does thread size refer to the actual diameter of the thread?

No, it's neither the internal nor external diameter. Thread sizes historically referenced the internal diameter of a steel or copper plumbing pipe that was used with the fitting. For instance a 1/2" BSP thread has an external diameter of about 21 mm or 53/64", whereas 1/2" is approximately equal to 12.5 mm. Pipes historically would have had a thicker wall and 1/2" would have been the inside measurement of the pipe.

Explaining male and female threads.

Tapered threads. One end of the plug is narrower than the other.

US GHT Thread Sizes For Bibcock Outlets and Garden Hose Connectors

Source: National Fire Equipment Ltd.

Thread Size External Diameter (in) Thread Pitch


1 ¹/₁₆" (1.062")


BSP Thread Sizes For Taps, Plumbing Fittings and Garden Hose Connectors

BSP parallel specs. Source: Engineering Toolbox

Thread Size Major External Diameter (mm) Thread Pitch










What Are the Internal Diameters of Garden Hoses?

  • The nominal inner diameters (ID) of garden hoses are 3/8" (10mm), 1/2" (12.5mm), 5/8" (15mm) and 3/4" (19mm)
  • A 3/4-inch ID hose is generally reserved for professional use, the greater internal diameter resulting in less pressure drop over distance and a higher flow rate for the same pressure at the source.

How Do You Measure the Size of a Hose?

You can use a ruler or vernier calipers. Usually hose goes by the internal diameter, but sometimes external diameter is quoted.

Types of Fittings on the End of US and UK Hoses

Fittings differ somewhat between the United States and the United Kingdom. In the US, typically a 3/4" female threaded fitting is crimped to the end of the hose that connects to the bibcock, allowing it to be simply screwed on. The other end of the hose that connects to the spray head has a 3/4" male threaded fitting. Quick connect adapters can also be screwed to the bibcock, spray nozzle or either or both ends of the hose to make the system push fit. There's also more flexibility in the gender of fittings to allow mixing and matching of hoses and accessories to other hose systems. So for instance an adapter/coupler can be male/male, male/female, female/female, male/quick connect or female/quick connect.

Scroll to Continue

Read More From Dengarden

In the UK, threaded fittings are normally not crimped onto the end of a hose and instead, it usually comes supplied with quick connectors fitted.

Old Style Semi-Permanent Fittings

The older system before quick release connectors were invented involved attaching spray jets, tap connectors, and hose joiners to a hose and hand tightening the fitting onto the hose with an integral threaded knurled (ridged for grip) plastic ring. If for instance the hose needed to be connected to a power washer or other accessory, or an additional length of hose, the fitting would have to be replaced. You can still buy these fittings, but they are not as widely available nowadays as quick release types.

Old Style Semi-Permanent Spray Fitting

Hose is pushed into spray jet and knurled ring tightened. Fitting has to be replaced by a different connector to connect to e.g. a power washer or hose joiner.

Old Style Non-Push-Fit Round Tap Connector

This fitting has to be loosened and removed from the tap if someone needs to use it. The fitting is held in place on the hose by the knurled ring.

Quick Release Push Fittings

The quick release, push-fit hose connection system produced by Hozelock, Gardena and other manufacturers is a lot more convenient because hoses can be easily attached to taps without having to screw on connectors. Also, various accessories such as sprinklers, power washers, extra lengths of hose, branches and spray jets can be quickly added or removed as necessary, even with the water turned on.

How to Connect a Hose to a Sink Tap or Unthreaded Outside Tap

Use a round tap connector with a quick release outlet. Hoses then need a hose end connector fixed on the end that can be push-fit onto the connector on the tap fitting. Depending on the manufacturer, there are several types of these tap connectors. In the case of Hozelock fittings, there is a version for standard round and oval taps up to 18 mm, one for mixer taps up to 24mm diameter, one for short spout square/round mixer taps and the fourth type for mixer taps with an external male thread (used for an aerator).

Quick Release Round Tap Connector For Standard Sink or Unthreaded Outdoor Taps

Suitable for round or oval taps up to 18 mm

This connector is suitable for larger diameter mixer taps up to 24 mm

Alternative Tap Connector For Mixer Taps

Designed to fit a wide variety of square, round and mixer taps up to 43mm high by 34mm wide

Screw on Quick Release Tap Connector For Indoor Taps With External Male Threads

Screwed tap connector

Screwed tap connector.

Once you have one of these fittings attached to your kitchen tap, you just push fit the hose end connector onto it.

The hose end connector simply push fits on the connector on the tap.

How to Connect a Hose to a Garden Tap (Bib, Spigot, Faucet)

Garden taps in the UK have a 3/4-inch BSP threaded outlet. In the USA, bibcocks generally have a 3/4" GHT outlet. There are two options for connecting a hose:

Option 1

If the hose doesn't have a connector on the end, (i.e. just bare hose), fit a brass, female 3/4 inch BSP (UK) or GHT (US) connector. This has a barbed/bayonet section that pushes into the hose. A hose clip is tightened on the hose to stop it from being forced off the hose under pressure or pulled off during use. The advantage of these fittings is that they are cheap and made from brass and are less likely to be damaged than quick release, plastic connectors. However, they take longer to connect to the tap and the O-ring seems to wear quicker because it gets compressed during connection.

Option 2

The barb part of the connector varies in diameter to suit the internal diameter of the hose, so use a 3/4", 5/8" or 1/2 inch version. (This will be specified in the spec of the fitting (e.g. in the US, " 1/2" Hose Barb to 3/4" Female Garden Hose GHT Hose End Fitting").

  1. In the US, hoses are normally supplied with a 3/4" GHT fitting on the bib end of the hose so that it can be screwed straight onto the bib.
  2. Screw a 3/4 -inch brass or plastic fitting onto the tap. The connector on the hose can then be push-fitted onto this fitting (UK). In the US, you need to get a quick connect adapter that screws into the female end of the hose.

Some taps have 1/2" BSP threads. A reducer adaptor insert is available which screws inside a 3/4 threaded fitting. (Sometimes these are supplied with the connector). Tap connectors are also available for 1" threaded garden taps.

A Garden Tap Has a 3/4 Inch Threaded Spout

Thread is 3/4 inch BSP in the UK and 3/4 inch MHT (GHT/NHR) in the USA. Older taps had 1/2" threads.

Option 1: Use a Barbed Threaded Tap Connector For Connecting a Hose to an Outside Tap/Bib

Push the fitting into the end of the hose and secure with a hose clip. Buy a fitting with a barb that's suited to the internal diameter of the hose. In the US, female threaded fittings are normally fitted as standard to a hose.

Threaded Connector Screwed Onto Tap

The advantage of these connectors is that they are cheap and strong, being made from brass. In the US, these female fittings are standard on the end of a hose.

Option 2: Use a Push-Fit Threaded Garden Tap Connector

Hozelock style, garden tap connector.

Fit a Quick Release Hose End Connector on the Hose (UK)

Fitting a hose end connector. These are usually fitted as standard on a UK hose, but can be bought separately.

Hose End Connector Push-Fits Onto Garden Tap Connector

Push fitting a hose end connector onto a garden tap.

Alternatively Screw a Quick Connect Adapter into the End of the Hose (US)

US hoses normally come with a female threaded fitting on the bib end. A quick connect adapter can be screwed into this to allow the hose to be push fit onto the bib.

An alternative system in the US is to screw a quick release adaptor onto the bib (the adaptor has a female thread on the end) and screw a push connector (male thread on the end) into the female threaded fitting on the end of the hose.

Older Taps Had a 1/2 Inch Threaded Spout—A Reducer Adapter Is Available to Suit

Reducer for converting a 3/4" garden tap connector so it can be used with 1/2" threaded taps.

Amazon's Choice for Replacement Bib With Sharkbite Fitting

If you need to replace your garden bibcock, this is Amazon's Choice for an outside faucet with Sharkbite fittings. The 3/4" GHT - 1/2" NPT bibcock can be quickly connected to house pipework by anyone, even without plumbing skills because it has a Sharkbite push fitting connector for connecting to copper, PEX, CPVC, PE-RT or HDPE plumbing. So no wrenches are required. Just cut the pipe square and push into the Bib. (a non-return double check valve is also necessary in the plumbing feeding the spigot to stop contaminated water flowing back into your home).

Bibcock with Sharkbite fitting for ease of plumbing.

How to Connect More Than One Hose to a Tap

2, 3 and 4 way tap connectors are available so you can connect more than one hose. This is useful if for instance you want to feed more than one sprinkler or drip feed system for plants. Note that flow from each outlet will be reduced if you feed more than one hose.

Multiway Outlet Tap Connectors

Hozelock splitter for connecting two, quick- release hoses.

Hozelock mult-outlet adaptor for connecting several hoses to one tap.

Alternative y-splitter for US hoses with GHT screwed fittings.

How to Connect a Spray Jet

  • If your hose is a made up one bought in a store, the gun/sprinkler connector at the spray end of the hose is likely to be a water-stop type. This has an internal valve that stops water flow when the spray jet is removed. This is a useful feature because you can attach another hose or accessory, without having to turn off the tap.
  • The spray jet simply push-fits into the gun connector.
  • In the US, the end of the hose normally has a male threaded connector so the spray jet can be screwed onto this. Alternatively a quick connector can be screwed onto the hose first so the spray can be push fit.

Hose Spray Gun/Jet

Spray jet for connecting to a hose.

Gun Connector For Hose With Integral Valve

Hozelock's "Aquastop" hose end connector stops water coming out of the hose when the spray gun is removed

A valve in the connector stops water flow when the spray or other accessory is disconnected from the hose

The spray gun just push-fits into the connector on the end of the hose.

Can You Connect Two Hoses Together?

If the spray end of one hose has a male threaded connector and the bib connector on the other is female threaded as is often the case with US hoses, they can be simply screwed together if the threads have the same diameter and pitch. Alternatively, you can use the push fit connectors, which is more typical in the UK

  1. Turn off the water at the tap.
  2. Remove the spray gun if fitted from the first hose. If the gun connector on the spray end of the hose isn't a water stop type, it's a good idea to replace it with one so that you can disconnect/connect accessories and a second hose without having to turn off the water at the tap.
  3. You'll need a double male connector. Push one end into the tap connector of the second hose.
  4. Push the other end of the connector into the free end of the first (at the point you removed the spray head).
  5. Finally attach the spray gun, sprinkler, power washer or another accessory to the gun connector at the end of the second hose.

Double male connector for garden hose

One end of the coupler pushes into the spray connector end of the first hose. The other end pushes into the tap connector of the second hose.

Push the two connectors together.

How to Attach a Pressure Washer to a Hose

The procedure for connecting to a pressure washer is exactly the same as for connecting to a garden tap.

  1. Screw a 3/4" threaded outdoor tap connector onto the water intake of the pressure washer.
  2. Remove the spray gun if fitted from the end of the hose.
  3. Push fit the gun connector on the end of the hose onto the tap connector on the pressure washer.

Pressure washer.

Pressure washers generally have a threaded inlet. You need a threaded "garden tap" type fitting so that you can connect a hose

The hose end connector push fits onto the threaded connector.

How to Connect a Sprinkler to a Hose

A sprinkler has a fitting similar to a tap connector, so you can simply push fit your hose onto it. This accessory fitting is a little different from a garden tap connector and has male (external) threads. The fitting may be bonded to the sprinkler, however if it isn't, it can be replaced.

Accessory fitting for connecting a hose to a sprinkler.

An accessory fitting is used to connect a sprinkler to a hose

Lawn sprinkler.

How to Connect a Garden Hose to a Washing Machine

If for some reason your washing machine isn't permanently plumbed (it might be located in an outbuilding) or your house is undergoing renovations, you can use a garden hose to supply water to the machine. Washing machines in the UK have 3/4 inch water inlets. You can screw on a garden tap connector and then push fit the hose onto the connector.

Washing Machine Converted to Allow Connection of a Garden Hose

Washing machine inlet is 3/4 inch BSP

A garden tap connector allows a hose to be used to feed the washing machine. Once this is screwed on, just push fit the hose

How to Repair a Burst Hose

  1. Use a knife or hose cutters to remove the bad section of hose and cut both ends square.
  2. A hose connector is used to join the two sections of hose. You just need to push each hose end into the connector. Then tighten the two knurled rings.

Hose Connector for Repairing a Burst Hose

Hose joiner.

Cutting Hose With a Tubing Cutter

This tubing cutter which uses "Stanley" knife blades is useful for cutting hose square

Alternative Hose Connector for American Hoses

You can also use threaded connectors like these ones available from Amazon for joining two hoses to get extra length or connecting two ends back together after removing a burst section. This product has barbed hose connectors for suitable for 5/8" internal diameter hose (other sizes available) and the threaded parts are 3/4" GHT.

Threaded hose connectors available from Amazon.

How to Connect a Spiral Hose to a Tap

Spiral or flat hoses are usually fitted with a crimped 3/4" female threaded connector suitable for a garden tap. A quick release adapter is available that allows you to connect the hose to a sink tap.

Spiral Hoses Normally Have a 3/4-Inch Fitting Suitable For a Garden Tap

Spiral hose with 3/4 threaded female connector.

A Flat Hose and Spiral Hose Adapter

A flat hose and spiral hose adapter for connecting these type of hoses to a push fit tap connector.

Garden Hoses, Paddling Pools and Ponds are A Breeding Ground for Bacteria

Water lying in a hose can become stagnant and laden with Legionella and other harmful bacteria in warm conditions. This can siphon back into your home supply, potentially contaminating it if pressure drops indoors or your water authority turns off the supply. So to be safe:

  • Turn of your tap/bibcock and ideally disconnect your hose pipe when not in use.
  • Don't leave the end of a hose in a pond or paddling pool
  • Ideally an inline backflow valve (also known as a double check valve or one-way valve) should be fitted in the plumbing feeding the outside tap to prevent this from happening. An alternative is to fit a double check valve to the outside tap.

Backflow Prevention Valve for Outside Tap

Backflow prevention or check valve for a hose. This only allows water to flow one way.

How to Connect Hoses of Different Diameters Together

To connect different sized hoses, you need a reducer fitting. There are several options:

  • The two bare ends of the hoses can be connected using a barbed reduction fitting like this one from Amazon and hose clips. Obviously the two hoses can't be quickly de-coupled without disassembling.
  • Hoses with threaded fittings can be connected with a threaded reducer with the proper gender thread on both ends.

Barbed reducer for hoses.

Connecting a US GHT Hose Connector to an NPT Fitting.

Plumbing fittings in the US are NPT. You can use one of these adapters, available from Amazon to connect either a 3/4" male or female hose end connector to a female NPT fitting.

Winter Care of Hoses

Hoses are usually flexible enough to withstand the stresses of water freezing and expanding inside them, however there's no harm draining water, just in case, to prevent a burst. The spray nozzle on the end is a different story. This is made from ABS or polystyrene, a much stiffer plastic, and it can easily crack if the water inside turns to ice during severe frost. Even brass spray heads can rupture in extremely cold weather. So once you turn off the water supply to the hose, open the spray jet and hang it downwards to allow water to drain out. Ideally if your hose isn't on a reel fixed to a wall, take it indoors. Pressure washers and hoses can be wrapped with blankets or bubble wrap in unheated sheds to lessen the chances of freezing during prolonged cold spells.

To prevent freezing and cracking of the spray jet, it's a good idea to open it and allow water to drain.

Brass or Plastic Hose Fittings?

Hose fittings made from plastic (usually polystyrene or ABS) are widely available. Another option is to buy fittings made from brass. These are more durable and don't crack when you let the hose slap off the ground, drop something on them or drive your wheelbarrow over the hose!

Brass hose fittings, often available in the center aisle of Lidl stores.


FirehoseDirect - Adapter Guide

Hozelock UK - "How To" Videos


Thanks to Hozelock for permission to use some of the photos in this article.

This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.

Questions & Answers

Question: I've got new 3/4 inch taps, but the Quick Release 3/4 Inch Garden Tap Connectors for my garden hose don't fit as they are too small and the inch versions are too big. Any ideas?

Answer: Normally the alternative to 3/4 inch BSP threads is either 1/2 inch, 5/8 inch or 1 inch. If you measure the threads they won't actually be this size because the thread size historically refers to the internal diameter of a thick walled iron pipe used with the fitting.

Have a look at the table at this link which gives the sizes of various type BSP threads. You should be able to identify the thread by both the number of threads per inch and diameter.

Question: I have a garden sprayer that has female 3/4" BSP threads. Can you direct me to a source for an adapter?

Answer: It depends on what you want to connect it to. A 3/4" BSP connector will screw straight onto a tap. An adapter is also available that will allow it to be used with push fit connectors. If the female BSP is on the o/p of the sprayer, you can get a spiral hose type adapter like this one:

Question: How do I fit a twin hose connection onto an outside tap that has no thread?

Answer: The cheapest option is to replace the tap. A threaded brass tap only costs less than £10. Alternatively, use a round tap connector like the ones in the article below. Then, push fit an adapter with a threaded outlet onto this (the green "Flat Hose / Spiral Hose Adapter" in the article).

Question: What adapter do I need to be able to connect a garden hose from the USA to a garden spigot in South America, specifically Chile? I'm moving there and would like to know what adaptors to purchase.

Answer: The easiest solution is probably to cut off the garden hose thread (GHT) fitting on the end of your hose (or push fit adapter plus female fitting) and replace with a barbed female connector suitable for Chilean outside taps. This appears to be BSP from a quick search, but I've posted a question on a Chilean forum, so check back on this answer later for an update. The adapter, in any case, would be more expensive than a barbed connector. BSP to GHT adapters doesn't seem to be readily available. This is the only one I found, but the Canadian company seems to be just a manufacturer:

Question: I'm in Switzerland and want to buy an American pool leveler valve. I will likely connect it to a Valtera pressure regulator Ao1120- VP, which I believe is 3/4 inches, and then to my garden hose in Switzerland. How would I adapt the Swiss to the U.S. connection?

Answer: If you're connecting a Swiss hose to it, you can either cut off or disconnect the fitting and use a barbed fitting with a male NPT thread like this one:

Also, choose the barb to suit the I.D. of the hose.

Alternatively, use an MPT (the male version of NPT (National Pipe Thread) used in America) to BSP adapter and screw it into the regulator (fittings outside America seem to be pretty much all British Standard Pipe thread sizes).

Then you can screw a BSP push fitting onto the end and push that into the connector on your hose where the spray jet normally goes.

It's a good idea also to include a double check valve in your fixed plumbing or where the hose connects to a tap/faucet/spigot, so that dirty water doesn't siphon back into your indoor plumbing. This scenario can happen where water is turned off to the house during maintenance/outages, and the water in the pipes is drained when taps are run.

Make sure, and check with the manufacturer that the thread is definitely 3/4 inch before buying adapters. Some of their regulators seem to be 1/2 inch.

Edit: I've contacted the manufacturer to check whether the thread on the regulator is NPT or what's commonly known as garden hose thread (GHT). If so, you just need to search for GHT adapters/barbs instead of NPT ones.

Update: According to Valterra, threads are 3/4" GHT, so use GHT to BSP adapters.

Question: Some of the photos show a wall mounted female fitting (to accept a faucet) while the hose connects to the male end. What is that fitting/mount called and where can I get one?

Answer: Usually when you buy an outdoor faucet (also called a spigot or bib cock) you get these two parts together. The part that goes on a wall is called a wall plate elbow or wall union. These are readily available in plumbing stores, homestores or online from eBay, Amazon etc. I'm assuming since you called it a faucet, you're in the US, or Canada, so if you're buying online, make sure the fitting has US threads, not British BSP threads.

Question: How do I join two different water sources to the same hose? Sometimes I want to run water from a household well, and other times from an irrigation well. I want to use the same hoses sprinklers etc., but I don't always want to switch the hose at the source. In other words, how do I create a reverse Y?

Answer: You could use something like this y-splitter which would push fit into a quick connect adaptor fitted onto the end of each hose:

You would need to include one-way/check valves inline or on the output of the water sources so that they don't feed into each other. E.g., the irrigation well water flowing back into the household, or stagnant water in the hoses doing the same thing if the water pressure in the house drops.

Question: I have a small 12v pump with a 3/8" Hose Barb. What is the best way to make a permanent connection?

Answer: If you want to permanently plumb the pump, you may be able to unscrew the barbed fitting and replace it with a brass fitting with threads (male or female as necessary) on one end and a compression input on the other end (for use with copper or plastic tubing). Use PTFE tape on the threaded end to seal it.

Alternatively, you could attach a short piece of hose to the barb and secure it with a hose clip. Then attach the other end to a fitting like this (make sure you get the one with the right sized barb.)

Then screw that onto a male coupler with a compression output.

© 2017 Eugene Brennan


Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on August 13, 2020:

Hi Alex,

First of all when you mention tap, I presume you are not in the US or Canada!

What type of fitting do you have on your spray gun? Is it male or female thread? Can you measure it's approximate diameter in inches to the nearest 1/16th? Spray guns often come with a push fit connector with a male threaded end that screws into the body of the spray (see the one for sprinklers I mention in the article). Sometimes this is permanently attached to the spray gun. I just checked the gun on my coiled hose and it has a 3/4" female threaded BSP inlet (the female equivalent of the male threads on a garden tap).

Alex on August 13, 2020:

Hi, I’m hoping you can help me. This has been driving me insane! I’ll try my best to explain my problem but forgive me if it makes no sense...

My wife bought an expanding hose. On either end of the hose it has attached its own screw-on connectors. Male on one end, female on the other.

The female end screws directly onto the garden tap. The problem I’m having is (even after having ordered several different types of connectors) I am unable to find the appropriate connection to connect my hose (from the male screw end) to our water spray gun.

Have you any suggestions? I am at a complete loss! Thanks in advance for your time.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 30, 2020:

Check any rubber washers are in place and seated properly. Maybe try tightening it a little more. Hose connections aren't guaranteed to be totally watertight like plumbing fittings and can weep a little. You shouldn't need an extra valve. The shutoff valve is in the timer. In the animation on the Hozelock site, the sensor controller appears to have two parts for connecting to a tap: One piece is a reducer (for 1/2" or 3/4" taps) which screws on first and then the timer screws onto that piece. Check the first piece is screwed on tight before attaching the timer.

rabi on July 29, 2020:


I've set up a sensor plus hozelock timer and watering system, but when the valve closes, the water begins to bubble out of the connection between the timer and the garden tap, meaning i can't go on holiday this weekend. The connection seems tight enough, do i need an extra connector with a valve in it to stop the flow, and if so why wasnt this mentioned anywhere? the tap is old, but it's still a tap! thanks.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 13, 2020:

Stanislav, it's possible that some have a double function and also act as check valves operated by pressure. The way you could check is to push a screwed tap connector into the water stop connector. Water should come out of the hose when you do this.

Stanislav on July 13, 2020:

Thank you very much Eugene. Your last paragraph answer my question. I have bought some brass water stop connectors that doesn't works when used at the tap end - they are unfortunately closed by pressure of supply water. It's caused by bad design of valve inside. Dealer said to me that it is normal function and won't agree with my complaint.

I'd like to use water stop connectors on both ends of my hoses. So I'll be able to freely connect them together with double-male connector. And when I'll need to separate them I just disconnect them and water stays in hoses without leaking. And same when i disconnect the hose from tap end.

I have expected the function as you described to me (these aren't check valves, they are two way valves that simply open when an accessory or adaptor is pushed into the fitting) but I was not sure when dealer disagree with my complaint.

Thank you very much, Eugene.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 13, 2020:

Hi Stanislav,

I'm not sure what you mean.

Do you mean something like this?

You can cut the hose and connect it inline. Water will flow both ways through it. So you can turn off the valve and remove the tap connector from the tap and water won't leak out from tap end of the hose (if for instance you have the other end of the hose in a tank and you don't want water to siphon out of it).

You can also use a water stop connector at the tap end. These are normally just fitted at the spray end of a hose and stop water gushing out of the hose when the spray head is detached. However you can also fit one at the tap end and it will do the same thing. These aren't check valves, they are two way valves that simply open when an accessory or adaptor is pushed into the fitting.

Stanislav on July 13, 2020:

Hi Eugene

Is it able to fit two connectors with stop valve on both sides of hose? So it can be able to disconnect the hose on water supply end without leaking of water. But will be the water flowing through connector with stop valve when attached to water supply tap connector?

Or this type of connector with stop valve can be used only for one way water flowing?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 23, 2020:

That's odd. The threads are parallel normally and it's the washer of the tap connector that makes the seal. It sounds as though there aren't enough threads on the tap rather than too many as you suggest. That could stop the fitting from screwing on sufficiently. On my tap in the article, the threads are wider than the unthreaded part of the spout, so for taps like that, even if there were only a couple of threads, it wouldn't make a difference. However if this section of your tap is the same width as the external threads, the unthreaded part wouldn't screw in, if you follow what I mean. Maybe check this out. If this is the scenario, it might be possible to buy these washers and use an extra one or two in the connector to build up the thickness? I'll ask Hozelock if they can be bought. Also is your tap 3/4" or 1/2"? See the thread sizes in the table in the article.

Benjamin on June 22, 2020:

Hi Eugene

Yes it is

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 18, 2020:

Hi Benjamin,

Is this a UK outside tap with male (external) threads?

Benjamin on June 18, 2020:

I have 2 outside taps and one of them has an extra thread which prevents the plastic push fit threaded connector to screw in all the way and doesn’t create a sufficient seal when I connect the the hosepipe the pressure causes water to leak out the top of the tap connector

Any advise will be appreciated

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 15, 2020:

Hi Lynne,

Yes it can. It'll just push onto the hose end connector.

I've removed your comment because we have to limit links.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 10, 2020:

This might be what you're looking for:

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 10, 2020:

Hi Robert,

You can use a GHT to NPT adapter. For instance this one is 3/4" male GHT to female NPT.

Other genders are likely available if you specify them in your Google search.

Robert T Paverman on June 10, 2020:

do you know how to connect a solenoid valve to a garden hose? All the valves I see are npt.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 01, 2020:

Hi Paul,

Is this the product?

Is your tap an outside one (3/4" BSP)?

There is a 1" version of the splitter also:

Is the middle piece that doesn't screw on to the tap too big or too small?

BSP threaded taps are 1", 3/4" and 1/2" with external thread diameters of 33mm, 26mm and 21mm approx respectively, so if you measure you should be able to identify which one you have.

There's also this splitter which is for 1" taps with a screw in insert adapter for 3/4" taps:

Paul on June 01, 2020:

I have a Gardena splitter for connecting two hoses (much like the Hozelock one in your article). It suggests just screwing a piece onto the tap and then screwing on to that, but that middle piece doesn't seem to screw on (to what I think is a standard tap). Is it possible that I need some kind of adaptor between the two? Thanks.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 01, 2020:

Hi Cheryl,

Brass can be plated with chrome or nickel, so for instance kitchen/bathroom faucets are brass, but silvered for aesthetic reasons. It's possible that an electrochemical reaction is going on between the silver plating, whatever metal it is, and the brass on the other fitting. This is a known phenomenon in plumbing and a bit like what happens in a battery. It can cause corrosion so plumbing fittings are sometimes separated with plastic pieces. You could use Vaseline petroleum jelly on the threads and it might lessen the tendency to seize/corrode, then just unscrew every so often to stop sticking.

Cheryl Stahl on June 01, 2020:

I have a question about the type of metal used for hose ends. My old hoses all have brass fittings. I bought a hose that said it had brass fittings but the color was silver or standard bolt color. When I connect the two, they corrode and are impossible to separate. The "silver" are a much heavier duty connector which I like but I'm afraid if I attach them to a faucet it will be permanent. Any ideas what is going on?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on May 27, 2020:

That's strange. The water stop connector should be on the hose that's attached to the tap so that water flows through it the right way (i.e. out of it rather than into it). The trigger on the spray attachment controls a valve in the spray, so it shouldn't have any bearing on what happens with the hose. It sounds as if the spray attachment is faulty, but if it works ok on one hose, that would be more odd? Once a spray is pushed into a hose end connector, it opens the water stop valve in the connector. If the spray trigger is broken (or the valve in the spray that it operates is stuck open), that could explain why water continues to flow. Usually the way these work is that the trigger opens a valve that's held closed by a spring. I would dismantle the spray and see if the valve is sticking open.

Billyborden on May 27, 2020:

Hey I have connected two hoses via quick release connectors however I am mixing two different kinds, one aluminum quick release and the other is a plastic Gardena version. They fit together and the water flows except when I use a spray attachment, the water never stops spraying - even when I release the handle it continues to spray. Is this somehow because I’m mixing types of QR or are my sprayers likely broken somehow?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on May 22, 2020:

Hi Hillary,

Yes the internal measurement of the fitting is what I meant (Between the "valleys" in the threads). So it's likely to be a 3/4" British Standard Pipe (BSP) fitting as I suspected. The Walmart fitting would work if the push part on it is compatible with a US push adapter (but the adapter would need to have female threads, ). The alternative is to cut off the fitting on the end of the hose and use a push fit adapter.

Leave it with me. I've asked Walmart customer support if they supply a fitting. The gender needs to be male to female, not male to male like the one in the second link in my previous comment. Also I'll try to get info on those push fittings to check whether they're standard worldwide (I want to update the article with that info anyway!).

Hillary on May 21, 2020:

I just measured the diameter of the spray nozzle bottom - it is just over an inch - 1 1/16". But - the inside edge of thread to thread is just shy of 1". Is that what you mean? For us, the hose end that needs to attach to this nozzle is male. We do have push fittings in the US for certain systems - like Gardena. You can choose to use them or not. Are you thinking that the Walmart fitting that you suggested would fit our European nozzle and then we could get a push fitting mate to attach to our hose end?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on May 21, 2020:

These fittings are available, but I'm not sure the push fit end is compatible with US push fittings (or whether you actually use push fittings in the US. I've been unable to establish this when asking the question on several Facebook groups)

This is another option, but it only seems to exist as a design concept on a 3D printing site.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on May 21, 2020:

Ok, so it has a female BSP thread, probably 3/4 inch (just check this, the diameter of the threads should be just less than an inch, about 15/16"). Your hose will have a US style GHT thread. What gender are the threads on the fitting at the end of your hose?

Hillary on May 21, 2020:

Just saw the second part of your question....yes it's a spray nozzle. It does say FAUQUET on the side. I saw some patents pending under this name when I googled but no company or items for sale. Maybe it was shortlived. It's very heavy duty. They found it in Germany.

Hillary on May 21, 2020:

The nozzle has a threaded inlet and is female.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on May 21, 2020:

Hi Hillary,

Does the nozzle have a threaded inlet and if so is it male or female? (or is it a push fit connector?)

I presume you mean a spray nozzle (not a faucet adapter, you spelled it fauquet in the comment. I can't find any references to a Fauquet brand)

Hillary on May 21, 2020:

Hi Eugene,

I have a questions for you. I have a FAUQUET hose nozzle that my husband brought back from Europe a few years ago. I'm aching to use it. Is there an adaptor that will allow me to connect it to an US hose thread?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on May 12, 2020:

Hi Karen,

I had a look at that product, the company don't actually specify where they're based, there's no contact address so I'm not sure whether the fittings are US GHT, or BSP like we use in Ireland. Prices are in dollars, but that's normal for companies in China for instance. Anyway it seems to come with an adapter that screws into the base of the spray jet and would push into a standard Hozelock fitting if they're the same. I'm bnot sure about this. I've asked elsewhere, but you could wait until you get the thing and it may work ok. Threaded fittings in the US and UK/Ireland are different however (like the garden tap connector that screws onto an outside tap).

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on April 28, 2020:

Paul, the simplest solution is to use a double barbed reduction fitting and hold it on with hose clips. Check you hose's internal diameters and then Google e.g. "barbed garden hose reduction fittings 3/4" to 1/2". I did this and lots of products turned up. Get a brass fitting because it'll last longer than plastic. The other solution is to use come form of double threaded end reducer. I'm not sure where you're based, but in the UK, the standard hose end fitting is the "Hozelock" type fitting that accessories can be push fit into. If there's one of these on the end of each hose, the hoses can be joined using the double ended fitting as I show in the photos. Hozelock fittings may be available for larger diameter hoses, so there could be a reducer to join two of these. I'll ask them when their customer support is back online. In the US, I'm not so sure, female or male GHT may be used on hose ends as standard so I'm doing some research into this and will update the article as regards what reducers are available.

Paul Clegg on April 28, 2020:

they are just bare hose ends at the moment

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on April 28, 2020:

Hi Paul.

Should the connector be fixed, screwed or quick release?

What fittings are currently on the ends of the hoses you want to connect, or are they just bare hose ends?

If threaded, are they BSP or GHT?

Paul Clegg on April 28, 2020:

I am looking for a garden hose connector that can connect a large diameter hose with a standard one , but I cant seem to find a solution. Can you help?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on April 18, 2020:

Hi. Does the photo show the spray nozzle of your new hose or a fitting on the water pipe? If you don't have a tap, you could try fitting a valve to the end of the pipe like the one used for washing machine hoses. Then a Hozelock type hose fitting can be screwed onto this. The best option though is to fit a tap (about €10 for a brass tap). If the photo shows the fitting on the end of the pipe, and the piece at the end can be unscrewed, the thread may be 1/2 inch. This would allow you to use a reducer fitting. See the photo in the article above titled "Older Taps Had a 1/2 Inch Threaded Spout—A Reducer Adapter Is Available to Suit".

A Cnmy on April 18, 2020:

Hi Eugene,

Im in Ireland too ! I was wondering if you could help a novice gardener out. I just bought a hose - but we don't have an out door tap - we have an outdoor water pipe- see link for a picture. All the connectors I got with he hose don't connect up to it and I am wondering would you know what connecter would work to connect my hose to it ?

If you could help me with this I would be delighted.

Thanks a million ! A

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on April 10, 2020:

Hi Scott. Is the fitting US or British? BSP 3/4 inch has 14 threads per inch. 3/4 inch US GHT has 11.5 threads per inch so is a bit coarser. Could it be possible that either the hose or washer have a British or US connector?

Scott Radden on April 10, 2020:

Hi I Have a 3/4 screw connection on my Flexi hose and I’m trying to connect it to my karcher jet wash that has either a male connector or threaded connection neither which is compatible with my hose

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 25, 2019:

Hi Linda. What type of adaptor is n the end of the hose? Is it a push fit type, or do you want something that just fits into the end of a bare hose?

Linda Hill on July 25, 2019:

Please would you advise me where to buy a spray gun to fit a 3/8” hose figment,thanks.

Michael Bond007 on July 15, 2019:


Many thanks for your suggestion - never knew there was such BSP thread size. I've ordered a 7/8 inch to 3/4 ribbed connector from S&G Engineers, let's hop that does the trick - I'll let you know.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 15, 2019:

Just checked with Hozelock, they don't make a 7/8" fitting.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 12, 2019:

It's possible it's a 7/8" BSP fitting (major diameter of threads is 30.201mm).

I Googled "7/8 bsp garden tap adaptor" and they seem to be available. I can't post commercial links here, but try the website.

Michael Bond007 on July 12, 2019:

My garden tap has an unusual thread size. I've tried screwing on a 3/4 inch female BSP fitting (too small) and a 1 inch BSP is too large. The diameter is approx. 30mm as near as I can measure. Do you have any idea what type of fitting I need that will have either a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch straight hose connector on the other end? Thank you.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 04, 2019:

If they're outside, the worst that can happen is that the o-rings fail and they dribble or the end of the hose gets forced out of the fitting and water flows everywhere. The best thing to do is contact Hozelock and get their advice.

GMan on July 04, 2019:

Are hoselock fittings suitable for semipermanent connection . Are they OK to leave connected to mains tap and pressurized over the summer.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 30, 2019:

Hi James,

If 32mm refers to the thread, that's a 1" BSP thread. If the hose has a male thread, you can use an adaptor with female thread on one end and a push fit on the other end (like what I used to connect to a garden tap). A 1" version of this is available. What fitting if any is on the end of the pump hose?

James on June 30, 2019:

Are there any adapters that will go from a standard garden hose to a 34mm larger hose (the pipe from a pool pump)

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 11, 2019:

BSP threads are used on fittings in Europe. 1/2" and 3/4" are used for taps. 3/8" is used sometimes for small caravan tap fittings.

Jen on June 11, 2019:

Can you point me in the direction to find all hose bib fitting sizes/dimensions for all European countries to attach to a garden faucet?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on June 05, 2019:

Hi Paul,

Is the fitting too large to be screwed into a normal 3/4 BSP female hose fitting? Possibly it could be 1" BSP and the external diameter of that size thread is 33mm approx. If you check my profile there's a link to my "Talking Tools" Facebook group where you could post a photo.

Hozelock do a 1" threaded female fitting that push fits into the connector at the end of a hose, just like the standard 3/4" type.

(Not sure whether you want the fitting for the hose or want to replace the part on the reel, but this is the Hozelock garden tap connector:

Paul Hoffman on June 05, 2019:

I am refurbing a very ordinary hoselock hose reel , a plastic reel mounted within on an upside-down Y shaped tubular frame. My problem is finding a hose connector that is at the centre side of the reel, that runs to the tap. The external threaded plastic pipe that emerges from the centre side of the ree. It is 32 mm diameter (outside face) but I can't see any adapter that fits this. I need to attach a domestic hose. Do you have any ideas?

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on November 10, 2018:

3/4 inch BSP has 14TPI. Just check also that you're not cross-threading. Keep the connector square to the fitting as you screw on. I find it's easy to cross thread these fittings, especially if threads are a little loose/worn.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on November 10, 2018:

Hi Peter,

What's the model number?

I'll see if I can get some info. I've tweeted an enquiry to Karcher Australia also.

Peter from Oz on November 10, 2018:

I have a Karcher Pressure Washer. It has a Swivel fitting for the attachment of the water hose to the unit. My 3/4 standard water connecetor won't screw in properly; It goes 1 3/4 turns and stops. I have tried to measure the thread TPI, The Karcher Swivel seems to be 13TPI, and my hose connector seems to be 14TPI. What "Standad" fitting is this on my Karcher. And what can I get to Adapt the Hose to the Unit? Thx.

Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on October 26, 2018:

Hi John, Do you mean for screwing it on/unscrewing it? If it's tight, a cloth wrapped around the fitting will help to give more grip. A water pump pliers with soft curved plastic jaw covers as used on chrome taps/faucets to avoid scratching could also be used to unscrew (A vise grips could also be used, but it could damage a round brass fitting over time if it slips). I'm guessing the fitting is knurled with ridges, so it would be difficult to attach something permanently by glueing or whatever. I've done a search on Google for "clamp for unscrewing round objects" and these are the results:

You could tighten a hose clip around it and you'd get a better grip on the screw section of the clip than the grips on the connector.

Jim Bosserman on October 25, 2018:

The brass connector on my hose is too small to grip with anything but my fingers. Is there anything that can fit over this to give a better grip?

Related Articles